2014/09/23

How to Burn Down Your Kitchen

Ingredients:

  • Oil
  • Fish fillet, or whatever that may seem work for you

Preparation:

  • Adjust the temperature of your refrigerator so that the temperature on the top shelf is enough to freeze water.
  • Put the fish fillet on the top shelf. The fish fillet I used for this experiment is thick on one side, and thin on the other. When I took it out of the refrigerator, the thick side was very firm, but the thin side was hard frozen, with a thin layer of ice attached.

Procedure:

  • Heat a small pan and put the oil in.
  • When the oil is very hot, put the fish in.
The thin layer of ice quickly melts and splashes feverishly, carrying oil into the air in droplets. When the pan is small and the stove is turned on high, the flame could be large enough to go around the edge of the pan, and ignites the oil droplets to cause the flame. 


Q and A:


A: My flame was huge enough to touch kitchen ventilator above the stove.

A: Terrified. During the few seconds (or eternity in my very own experience), I just stood there petrified and mind blank. Now that we are talking about it, I believe (and am not sure) I did not even try to turn off the stove.

A: I do not have a fire extinguiser at home, so I think if it ever happens again (I sincerely hope not), the first thing I need to do is to turn off the stove, and then to fetch my blanket, and be ready to yell to the neighbors for help and call 911.

A: Just some black burn marks on the kitchen tiles, and splashes of oil everywhere on the stove.

A: Thanks for having me.

No comments: