2008/12/16

Glass: A Portrait of Philip in Twelve Parts

This is a documentary, not really a movie. If I had not liked the music from 'the Hours' very much, I would not have known his name, Philip Glass, and gone to the movie.

We went to the matinee show, just as usual. The movie runs for 2 hours, kind of long for me to sit in the movie theater for a documentary, however, it was not boring and I was able to concentrate the whole time. It gracefully tells the life, the philosophy of Philip Glass in twelve chapters. We learned about his childhood, how he decided to study music, life in Julliard, in France, his composing life, how he thinks of music, how he persuades his spiritual life. In the end, we saw the opening of symphony 8 and Waiting for Barbarians.

But honestly, what impresses me is that he makes pizza for the family (obviously from scratch), and he takes barbage bag to the outside to toss. And he looks just like a regular man.

No comments: