2010/02/23

Betty Blue - 37.2 C Le Matin

The poster of Betty Blue is my all-time favorite. I was 24, down to Taichung to visit a friend of mine. We went to a department store to look around, saw a poster store and went it. Then I saw that huge poster of Betty Blue, landscape, with Betty on the left just like the cover of this DVD and blue background extended to the left. The width of the background was probably twice or three times as wide as the width of Betty. Betty looks like staring into the blue background, instead of staring out of DVD, at you and me. I remember the store asked for two or three thousand TWD for that poster, and it was way beyond my ability to get it. If I had know I would still miss that poster up until today, I would have tried all my best to own it.

But that was the love for the poster. I never watched this movie until when I lived in the States, and happened to see that video at a local Blockbuster. Believe it or not, I was not crazy for it. I classified it as another crazy bizarre French movie where the actress poked her eye out at the end of the movie. Then I had not thought of this movie for all those years.

Few days ago, before the Olympic started, I was really bored, the weather being miserable, indoor heat dry and aggravating, and so had to really go out to get some cold air. I spent some time at Rogers, really browsed through every isle, every shelf, trying to come up with something to look for an deciding to find the French movie that MM recommended few months earlier, but was unable to locate it, as this is a impromptu stop, so I don't even have the title of the movie with me, then I saw Betty Blue again, the cover standing out of the whole rack.

The movie is director's cut and runs 3 hours, longer than I expected. This time I totally enjoyed the story. Several scenes are so unforgettable.


After she tossed the owner of the bungalow out, she spill paint on his car, tossed everything out of the bungalow, and she had this beautiful mysterious smile before she set the bungalow on fire.

She found Zorg's writing and spent the whole night reading, would not even put it down the next morning, and then decided to type every single word, was obsessed to get it published.

She is young, passionate, and unstable. I'm not sure if the pregnancy was just a false alarm, or if she had it and lost it, but 37.2 degree in the morning if pregnant woman's temperature in the morning, and so is significant. Loss of the baby drove her insane. She was depressed, hearing voices, kidnapping kids from playground, and then finally went mad, poked her eyes out and was sedated in the hospital.

Great movie.

No comments: