2010/02/02

Banana Muffins

Tim Horton's is a jewel of Canada. They have the wonderful iced cap, that I'd love to have every day, and they also have great banana nut muffins. I decided to make some muffins, and found a recipe online. After I reviewed the ingredients, the only thing I don't have here is the butter.

Butter is really no big deal. It was a nice sunny afternoon, so I went up to Safeway to pick up a few things, and then came back to do this experiment.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups of flour, 3/4 cup of sugar, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 pound of melted unsalted butter, 1 egg, 3/8 cup milk, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1 banana.

* Put flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and saut in a bowl and mix well.
* Add melted butter into the bowl and blend. I used hands to mix the dough. With the melted butter, it was warm to the tough, and smells so good. Very nice.
* Mash bananas, and add egg, milk, vanilla and then mix well.
* add the banana mix to the dough and mix until consistent.
* fill the dough to the paper liner. Bake in 350F for 25 minutes.

Some thoughts:
* The original recipe calls for 1 cup of sugar. I reduced to 3/4 cup, but still think it's a bit too sweet.
* I put crushed walnut on top the first batch of muffins, and mix crushed walnut in the dough of the second batch. I like the second batch better.
* To get the mushroom head, the paper liners have to be pretty full.
* The ingredients are not expensive at all, and I'm surprised at the quantity I got. It was so nice to have those muffins and hot hot milk tea as dessert after supper. I ate to my heart's content, and still have a lot left for the next day.
* One banana is not enough. I could taste the banana, but did not feel banana's aroma in the nose. Maybe I'll try 3 bananas for the same recipe and keep the bananas a bit longer before I try it again.

No comments: