2010/01/30

Apple Pie

Fred made an apple pie few days ago. The dough he used was kind of old, too cold to spread on the counter, so it tasted fine, but did not look that great. I learned that it is not that hard to make an apple pie.

We decided to make another one some day. We got apples and pie crusts, and have the other ingredients already. Last night I was playing with my iPod touch, and decided to check if there is any recipe on the apps store.

There is! I downloaded the free version (of course), and found few recipes in no time.

So I made a little bit of experiment this afternoon. It turned out great! We put the pie in the oven and went out for a walk. The whole kitchen smells wonderful when we came back. We did not have a quick bite though, but started to make supper and save the pie for dessert. It is yummy!

Recipe:
8 apples, 2 pie crusts, 3/4 cups of sugar, 3 tsp of cinnamon, a shot of lime juice, some ground nutmeg, dash of salt

* peel the apples, remove the cores, and dice them.
* place one pie crust on the pan, put 1/3 of apples on the pie crust, spray 1/4 cup of sugar on top, followed by 1 tsp of cinnamon
* place another 1/3 of apples on, another 1/4 cup of sugar, 1 tsp of cinnamon and the ground nutmeg.
* place the rest of apple on, 1/4 cup of sugar, 1 tsp of cinnamon and dash of salt.
* Put the second pie crust, crimp the edge, cut some slits for ventilation. Bake in 400F for 50 minutes.

Some thoughts:
* The original recipe calls for 1 cup of sugar. I reduce to 3/4 cup and still think it's too sweet after the pie cools down. Next time I'll try 1/2 cup of sugar.
* I'm not sure why the original puts the apples into 3 layers. I don't taste the difference.
* Fred grimaced when I dash the salt. I guess he never had to use it.

No comments: