2010/01/05

Avatar

2012 and Avatar both focus on computer animation, but there is one major difference for me. In 2012, I knew from the beginning that the world will collapse, that the story does not have to make sense, and that all the main characters will be safe. But for Avatar, it is not so clear how the story would end, until I saw the ceremony to rescue the scientist. Another unexpected part is that cool female pilot was gunned down. She is so butch and cool. I really want her to survive.

Other notes:

Maybe flying is a big thing, but that's all I do in World of Warcraft, flying dragon! So tho the whole computer animation makes the whole world so real, it is just a better version of WoW for me. Even the floating islands and waterfalls already exists in WoW.

When the army attacks the planet, the general was drinking coffee while sending out orders. I do not like coffee to be stained in blood this way. The contrast between the leisure of having coffee and the death later in the movie is strong, but cheap.

The first night when Neytiri rescued Jake from animal attack, she said those animals should not have died. I don't think the reason was explained in the movie.

Why does Neytiri have to be a princess? The story is strong enough. She does not have to be a princess. It's so cool to have a female scientist to lead the research. It's so cool to have a female character to rescue a guy and guide him. It's so cool to have a butch female pilot defect the army. So why do we need a princess here?

3D is cool. Since 3D seems to be becoming the in thing, I guess it's time to get a pair of contact lenses for those 3D movies. Having the 3D goggles on top on my glasses is not so comfortable.

Having said all those, I wonder if this post fits better in the complaint label than movies label.

No comments: