2011/03/27

My All-in-one Computer

IMG_0013

My computer has been too much of an entertainment center, or more precisely, the center of my life, to a point that I felt I did not have a life. Well, the problem is about the computer desk. When I bought it, it was meant to be “something that I could use temporarily before I figure out where I want my life to lead” that kind of thing, but then ‘temporary’ becomes a year, 2 years, and now 2 years and a half. The computer desk is now battered, and I have not yet found anything else, or I have not even tried.

I could pretty much sit at the computer desk all day, day after day, browsing the internet, chatting with friends, reading wikipedia, watching some videos, playing games. Because the desk is small, the computer was always in the way when I wanted to do something else, so few minutes into doing what I was supposed to do, I found myself using the computer again, mindlessly clicking. In early March, I decided it was time to make some changes.

First thing that had to go was the TV. It was an old 20” CRT TV. I used to watch news in the morning, but when I moved out to live alone, I could not justify spending around 20 USD for the cable and only watch the news occasionally in the morning. I chose to spend a bit more on internet connection for faster speed and do without the cable. The TV sat in the living room for the whole time I am here, well taken care of, dusted and all that. I realized it would probably sit there forever if I did not do anything about it; however, if I removed it to free up the space, then I could have a better idea how to re-arrange the space.

Surprisingly, after the TV was gone, everything seemed to fall into place automatically. I moved the computer and the speaker system to the living room, and put them on the original TV stand. I started to watch some streaming TV shows on the computer in full screen mode. Thanks to the technologies that have improved over the years, streaming video is mature, and I really have a good time watching the shows on this 24-inch ‘TV’.

Now I spend more time  in the living room, watching shows or reading, and less time on the computer. Gaming has been given a much lower priority due to space restriction of where the computer currently sits. Computer desk is free of clutters, so when I’d like to do something , I can do it without being sidetracked. The apartment is still very empty and full of potentials. I love it.

No comments: