2011/06/07

Milestone

There are so many milestones in each life, kids learning to walk, first kiss, first heartbreak, first job, wedding. We remember those things, but more often than not, it is not dated.

A friend sent me a link to 1000 No.1s. The web page shows all the No. 1 songs on the billboard across decades. Out of curiosity, I tried to search the very first English song in my life, and it is Diana Ross & Lionel Richie’s Endless Love.

Why is it the very first? Surprisingly, I hardly know any of the songs before it, and I pretty much know EVERY single song after it. Some of the songs are so familiar that I can just close my eyes, and the song starts to play automatically in my mind. It was like, I heard Endless Love, and decided I liked English songs, and started to track Top 10 on billboards for a few years to come.

The date on the song is August 15, 1981. I was 10 and barely knew any English. That tells me how music affects me. I could love it without knowing what it is. Even now, I have songs in my iPhone that I love dearly but do not have a clue what the song is talking about, some Spanish, some Russian, some Thai.

1 comment:

Phil said...

The year that I was born.. 1981.