2009/08/26

We expected it to be a long ride coming back to Vancouver from Pender Harbour, but still, it was longer than I expected. 

It was a gusty day. We ran the motor the whole day with headwind against us at 25 knots. Waves were high. The boat ran up and down, breaking waves quite often. Having a rough night the night before, I tried to take a break in the cabin, but the boat was just rocking so much that I started to feel sick, and that I ended up staying in the cockpit for the whole day. 

I was a bit nervous at first. Fred asked me to calm down, relax, and try to enjoy it. I hid in a well covered corner in the cockpit, was fine and actually had some fun watching the boat bang the wave. But when he had to go to the can and asked me to take over the boat, everything changed.

I stood behind the wheel, he went down the stairs, the boat banged a few big waves, then auto pilot stopped working. The boat started to swing, auto poilot screeching loud.  It was time to cancel auto pilot, so I did that and took control of the boat, tried to steer the boat to the right direction. It was not the right time to count on electronic device, I guess, as the refresh rate is slow and with such strong wind and wave, the number does not stay at a fixed number. So as I was struggling to watch the device to figure the angle, the boat was heading to the shore.

Fred ran back to the wheel and put the boat to the right path. I asked him to stayed for few more minutes, just to be sure I could take care of it. I then grabbed the handle with one hand, the wheel with the other, firmly. It just took some time to get used to the force from the nature. It was fun to see people do it, but so different to do it myself. 

After few hours, I asked Fred to check marine weather. I was thinking of calling it a day earlier and maybe stopping at Gibson's Landing for the night. After a while I heard the broadcast say something like putting on the life jacket. I was not sure what was going on. Fred said it is a mayday. A boat was sinking. There were 2 adults and 2 kids on the boat. The broadcast asked them to wear life jackets and asked if any boat happened to be there to rescue. That just made me really uncomfortable with where I was and what I was doing, especially it would be any more hours ahead of us I'd we'd like to make it back to Vancouver. I kept thinking about them. Gladly, they were rescued.

It was dark when we finally arrived at Vancouver. I could have enjoyed the view of the harbour, but running a boat is so different than running a car. There is no head light on the boat, and NO BREAK! when I tried to look ahead, it was so dark. I knew we were close to the marina, but the marina was not well lit in the dark. Later Fred said that was his first trial in the dark. I guess I would be so freaked out if I have to do it myself, and may end up running around the harbour till dawn. 

The world is so different when I look at it in other's perspective. 

Type rest of the post here

No comments: