2008/04/09

More on Google Docs

I like Google docs in a way that I expect the world (ok, exaggeration) to be connected all the times, and I can have a single file depository from difference devices (list for my wishful thinking: a linux box, my iMac, 3G iPhone, PSP, playing hooky at work using company computer). Today I am trying to publish to this blog from Google docs, and found something good and something bad.

Good things:
  • I can drag and drop files to the folder. So easy and no-brainer. I was surprised drag-and-drop has been implemented on browser though. Nice feature.
  • When the file is 'added' to the folder, it is not physically 'moved' to the folder. Instead, a 'link' is created in the folder. This is very nice. My problem with Windows is that I have to create many documents at work, and of course I create lots of folders to put those documents in place. Because many documents may be similar in nature, and can be placed in lots of folders. I find myself looking for files through folders a lot. Google Docs makes one file depository, and I can easily see which folders are the files placed in, and I can, on the other hand, put the same file in lots of folders. As shown in the attached picture, file "Blogging from Google Docs" is placed in both "Computer" folder and "Misc" folder.
Bad things:
  • After I published to this blog, the title was not there. I expected the title of the document to be the title of the article, but it did not happen. I also cannot add labels to my article. So I'll have to sign on Blogger and manually add labels to the article. After some search on the internet, obviously this is common problem, and there is no solution right now. Without the title and the labels, no one will want to publish from Google docs to make their blogs messy, which renders this function useless.

No comments: