2008/01/17

A Bit Panic

The flight to Bangkok was delayed for 3 hours. It was bad. The reason is that I had bought insurance at the airport, which included inconvenience insurance. So if the flight is delayed for more than 4 hours, I can get 3000NT, which is around 90NTD. At the beginning of the fourth hour, I was thinking, it might not be a bad idea to sit for one more hour to get that 3000NTD, since I am waiting in this comfortable business cabin anyway. But then the pilot announced takeoff. Bummer.

Flight to Bangkok was uneventful. It was after 2am when it landed. Too late to get any public transportation to go to Bangkok. I jumped on the taxi, and told him the location, and it took off. Destination: Suk11, in soi 11 of Sukhumvit. The taxt got to the soi ok, but could not find the guest house. It was a weird situation. Not really knowing where I was, looking at the busy (yes, busy at 3am) soi, I was not sure what to do. Taxi started to drive around again, and was pretty sure he got to soi ok, and asked me to leave the taxi and find my own destination. I was NOT going to carry my luggage at 3am trying to find my location. So I started a long talk complaining about why he is a driver but cannot find the location, things like that. I did not expect him to understand, but just wanted to confuse him. He gave in.

Call the guest house, you might ask me to. That's what I did, but it rang and rang and no one answered the phone. The taxi driver even stopped to ask people on the street twice, but no one ever seemed to know the guest house. This is getting even weirder. He then tried another approach by entering the soi from Sukhumvit. Easier this way, as it is the same approach as the simple map I have from the guest house's website. We found it immediately. The reason why we did not see it was because the light for the guest house's sign was off already.

One guy still worked at the reception, but I later wondered why he did not answer my call. I was too tired to remember to ask him, but then thought this might be why it is cheap. You get what you pay for.

The next morning, I went out to walk around, and knew I was really silly. Suk11 really has great location. Very close to Nana station, only 3 minutes away on foot. I got a room with private bathroom, 2 beds for only 600B. It is hard to beat that price. With the price and location, ok room, I'll stay there if I go to Bangkok again.

No comments: