2008/08/05

Lion King

I had waited for this musical to be on the stage for a long time, well, ever since they released it would come to Taipei! Long wait. Got tickets early, well, as soon as the tickets were made available, and then another long wait for 3 months. Though there were some glitches in inviting a friend, I was there, the first show last Saturday!

Although the story is nothing new, there is a strong contrast between dark side and bright side, this is still a very good journey, to see how simple elements can be converted to such powerful stage performance. Singing was excellent. I especially liked Mufasa (who doesn't) when he sang "He lives in me". He sang well, and the music, and background singing just made it perfect. I bought CD afterwards (music download from Amazon of course), and still love this song.

My second love is at the second half of the play, again the main song is "He lives in me", however, Mufasa died earlier, this time, The monkey sang the song. Something that looks like wind swirled at the background, then Mufasa's head popped on the stage. Again, simple stage, wonderful singing, strong compelling emotion, this is such a treat from the stage. I am not able to retrieve the same emotion from the CD.

Third love is when Simba was tricked and was trapped among raging animals. Again, simple stage, but the effect is stunning.

Last, but not the least, I always enjoy the moment at the end of the show, when the performers came up to the stage. Nice moment to see them as persons, not characters, and applaud to tell them how much I enjoy the show.

No comments: