2008/08/18

Skype on Cell Phone

Skype released a beta version to run Skype on regular cell phones. The website contains very extensive information, including what phones are supported, estimate cost, etc. What concerned me the most of the cost, of course. On the cost section, it says: "There’s a data charge from your operator. A person with 20 contacts, who’s online for 1 hour, IMs for 10 minutes and has a 20 minute call each day will use about 1MB of data per month. The more data you use, the higher your charges may be." I checked my date rate of my calling plan, it is 0.02NTD per 128 bytes, so if I use 1M on my cell phone, then the monthly cost just to use the data alone will be:

1024x1024/128*.02=163.84 NTD

Since the assumption is that I only use it an hour every day, and 30 days per month, so if I want to use it 24 hours per day 30 days per month, then the monthly payment will be

163.84x30=3932.16 NTD, which is around 1300 USD

3932.16 NTD is just the data rate. I also need to pay for the actual cell phone rate. The rate I got is 0.18 NTD per second, so if I call 20 minutes per day, 30 days per month, then the total cell phone rate will be

0.18x60x20x30=6080, which is around 200 USD

I am not a heavy cell phone user, and am getting pretty much the most expensive rate because I am using prepaid card (don't worry, company pays for it), so the cost to stay connected is huge. One may do better to use 3G plan in this situation, with all-you-can-use package, which runs at around 900 NTD, I think, then this whole thing will become more affordable. Of course it is always important to a cheaper calling plan. Mine is just absolutely outrageous.

No comments: