2009/03/23

Foxmarks

I have used Foxmarks for a long time, and use it on a daily basis, but hardly notice it is there. It is perfect for people who have multiple computers, but have some of their bookmarks on this computer, and some on the other. Foxmarks can keep all the bookmarks at a centralized location, so users only have to set it once, and then forget about it.

What it does for me:

  • I can access the same bookmarks from different computers after I install Foxmarks.
  • Both Google and Yahoo released their toolbar programs to do the same thing, but they try to do too much, and integrate search engine, and all the other features together. Google toolbar and Yahoo toolbar both require an additional space on the browser, and in my opinion,it is just a waste of space on the screen, and makes the browser look so complicated. On the other hand, Foxmarks integrates right into the browser (I use Firefox), so there is no additional toolbar. as shown in the attached screenshot
  • Because the bookmarks are stored in their server, so if I change/add bookmarks on one computer, I can also see the same changes on another computer.
  • If I am away and use someone else’s computer, I can still log on to my account on Foxmarks, and access my bookmarks there. I have never used this option, but am glad to know I have a backup plan.
  • We may have some very personal bookmarks at home, and we definitely do not want to click on those bookmarks at work accidentally and embarrass ourselves in front of the colleagues. Don't worry. You don't have to sync up every bookmark. Just log on to your Foxmarks account online, and set up the sync preference for different computers.

Foxmarks now also have IE version and Safari version, but I have not tried them yet. Firefox works well for me, and I do not have any desire to change it.

No comments: