2009/03/03

Wrong Number

I stayed in Tainan over the past weekend, and would really like to get together with Lawrence. I was supposed to get together with him over Chinese New Year, but did not stay in Tainan for very long. 2 days of staying home doing chores with mother before CNY, staying home on the New Year day, playing with niece and nephew the next day, and visiting grandmother and taking family to Kaohsiung for a visit, which turned out to be quite a disaster, and on Jan 4th on Lunar calendar, I came back to Taipei.

Last Saturday, I called his cell phone, but it went directly to voice mail. I tried to call his home phone, which, for some reason, I remember by heart. Now I can only remember a handful of numbers, and his home number is one of them.

An old lady answered the phone. I assume she was his mother, so I talked politely,
May I talk to Lawrence, please?
Old lady replied, "Law- what?"
"Lawrence, please."
"But he does not live here."
"Could you tell me his current home number, please?"
"I do not know where he lives."

At this point, I was not sure how I could proceed, and after I hanged up the phone, I was terrified. I knew he had moved back with his parents last year, when We met last year. He did not mentioned any conflict with his folks, nor did not he mention any financial problems, or anything. So why did he move out and even his mother does not know anything about his current status?

This question bothered me the whole weekend. I tried to call him again on Sunday, and the call still went directly to voice mail.

So I wrote him an email, and asked him if everything is ok. He responded quickly, telling me that his current home number has changed to such and such. That is when I realized I dialed the wrong number, and talked to the wrong person. So now my question is, if the old lady had told me "you've got the wrong number", or "there is no person by this name", I would have known. Her answers really gave me an impression that she knows Lawrence, but just does not know where he lives anymore.

Anyway, we got together and had a nice dinner in hot pot restaurant, chatting for hours. I did enjoy that.



No comments: