2009/03/31

the Reader

This movie was not very appealing at first. I was not really interested in Kate Winslet. What intrigued me to watch it is because of few things: MM said the book is very good; I read the description, and realize that this story shares a different perspective of how the post-war generation in Germany looked at what happened to the war; the story does not have a happy ending.

MM said that there was not enough music in the movie, and honestly , the only time I paid attention to the music consciously was when Michael walked to the meeting room to see Hanna in jail. So I guess the director filled the movie quite well, or the music just played in the background so well that I hardly noticed it. The director did a very good job, and to my surprise, he also directed the Hours, which is one of my favorite movies.

At the end of the story, Michael and Hanna met again. It must be hard for both persons, after so many years of separation; however, the moment when they meet again, is also when all his illusion, obsession, and dreams go busted. The love in the mind has suddenly become distant friend that Michael had to take care of. That is probably why he chose not to write at all. What about Hanna? She reached out her hand, but then what?

I would really recommend this movie.



No comments: