2008/07/10

Tainan Kai-yuan Temple

Early June when I went back to Tainan, we went to Kai-yuan temple together.

I went to Kai-yuan temple for the time when I was 6. That year my grandfather died, and the funeral was held there. I was too little to went to the cemetery, so was left there playing around the garden, chasing my cousins. There was so sadness or anything.

Then after I joined elementary school, Kai-yuan temple was also the first place we visited as a one-day tour in the very first semester. We walked over, and it was a bit too much for first graders.

Then Kai-yuan temple became just a landmark in my mind. I know where it is, I know I've been there, but going back again to look around? No. Not until grandmother passed away in April, and we placed her urn in the temple. And my dad said few years ago, he picked up grandfather's bones and place his urn in this temple too. Now grandfather and grandmother can live side by side.

It was a hot summer afternoon. We stayed in the temple and took photos until the incense burned out. I rarely feel so connected with Chinese tradition.

No comments: