2008/02/24

Magic Flute

I had been trying to get friends to go with me, but I still ended up going alone today. Interesting setting of the movie. It is kind of funny to see a war scene dubbed with the overture as the background music, airplane, and Queen of the Night showing up for the first time on a tank. Wonderful music of course, good computer animation, and the lyrics has been translated well into English. Making an opera like a movie is not a new thing. Domingo did it 20 years ago, but still, it makes opera more accessible to the general public like myself. I never like live opera's video recording when I see those singers standing still singing. There is no acting whatsoever in that. One time, in Rigoletto, Pavarotti laid on the floor dying and singing beautiful notes for minutes, and I just found that more amusing than anything. It would be better to listen to CD than to watch the video when there is more room for immagination.

It's fascinating to see an opera movie again, and this time, in English. At least I can capture the lyrics directly. I will highly recommend this movie, as this is the kind I enjoy, but it might be dull for many people, as people sing and sing, and sing, in the movie.

No comments: