2008/02/13

Moat of Chiang Mai

If I ever go back to Chiang Mai again, I may like to spend 2 days or 3 to visit some villages, or go hiking to Golden Triangle, but one of the main reasons will be the moat.

I followed the tour guide and went to a restaurant called Kaffee, which sits right by the moat. It was a late morning when I went there for my lunch. I finished my curry, and started to work on my coconut shake. I took a sip, wrote a few words on the postcards I had bought earlier, looked up and saw the trees and the water of the moat. I felt a sense of happiness and calmness, which I had been missing for a long time. It makes me feel like... ordering a second coconut shake. You've gotta try it if you go there. Coconut can never taste better than this, and it costs only 40 bahts.

I am not sure what happened to the wall, but all of the 5 gates are well preserved. I definitely like the fact that it is a large area inside the wall where people still actually live and do business. For me there seems to be a magic that the traffic outside the moat is so heavy and crazy, but when you step inside, it is slow and, bearable. I am not surprised if people here will just cover the moat and make it a wide straight road.

No comments: