2008/02/19

Koh Larn

Koh Larn is located off Pattaya Beach. We went to the pier with the intention of just looking around, and getting the ferry schedule. We had the idea of spending one day on Koh Larn and Pattaya, but did not have a detail schedule when to do what. But as we got there, one ferry was about to leave. So we bought tickets and hurry aboard.

As ferry moved away from the beach, we started to get a full view of the whole Pattaya Beach, which reminded me a bit of Monterey, but prettier. I guess weather helps. It was hot and windy, a perfect feeling for a vacation. Earlier we had this conversation. I really don't think Bangkok is that wonderful when I think about it. Buildings? For regular residents, those are just ugly concrete boxes with metal cage on the windows and covered with dirt, pretty much like Taiwan. Kind and friendly? I do not have Thai friends to compare, but generally if I go shopping or dining in the restaurants, I expect to be served, and friendly attitude is the minimum requirement. I have a lot of experience with rude taxi and tuk tuk drivers though. Their shopping malls are very nice, but for a cheap person like I am, it is not a big draw, though I enjoying walking in it, at least to stay cool in the scorching afternoon. But as the ferry sped towards Koh Larn, the island was just so beautiful that it took my breath away. Blue ocean, green trees, white beach. When I looked at the photos again, let me tell ya, it is so much different, and so much better to be in it, than to look at the 6x4 photo or 15" LCD screen. I always like swimming pool with blue paint at the bottom. Now that ocean on the beach was just like that, but enormous. That beach view beats my impression of the beach in Taiwan.

We rent 2 seats, and then I started to doze off. There was no way I could read or do anything that requires brain power. It was so hot that every part of me returned to the state of an animal. Eat, poop, talk, drink, pee, doze, a complete process to empty out all the thoughts and stresses and to get myself recharged, as MM said.

The interesting thing is that there are not that many Asians on that beach, and most of the white people spoke languages that I could not tell. Some of them are very rude. As the ferry company only run 3 ferries back to Pattaya Beach, and if you missed one, it would be another hour's wait. So although we started to form a line waiting early to ensure our return, when the ferry boat came, many people still shoved their way to get ahead of others. It was messy and made me wonder if we were escaping from the civil war, and this was the last boat to the free America.

MM took many photos of and on Koh Larn. This came as my fovarite. I really like the kid on the photo. He gives the photo a sense of energy and life.

No comments: