2008/03/12

Applause on Time Machine

How do you re-install your Windows? Let me think,
  1. Make sure to have all the driver CD if you installed any new hardware myself.

  2. Make sure to copy all you personal data.

  3. It may be necessary to browse through some folders if you know it. For example, the if you store Outlook emails in the hard drive, the default folder is not "My Documents", or any folder under it. It is hidden somewhere, and I cannot tell you where now, sorry.

  4. Make sure you have all the software CD. That may mean to call your friend like the last time you installed it.

  5. Wipe out the system, and re-install the system. Then install all the drivers. If that's a new machine, then this process can be neglected.

  6. Install all the softwares, disk after disk.

  7. Set up the network, and download the upgrade patches.

  8. Download some utility programs if you, like me, like to use some software to facilitate your computer experience.

  9. Customize the programs you want. Sometimes the default setting can be annoying. For example, I like the menu to pop up directly, instead of showing just the functions I use more often, then after I pause the cursor on the menu for few seconds, the whole menu shows up.

  10. Restore all the data to the proper locations in the hard drive.

I hate to recall how much it took me before to finish the task, but last night I had a completely new experience.

I received my new iMac, opened up the box, installed the power cable, keyboard and mouse, then turned on the power.
  1. An animation ran. It can be found here. When this high quality animation plays full screen on the 20" screen, it feels good.

  2. I was then asked if I had backup with their Time Machine, which I did. I plugged my backup drive in. It was recognized by the system immediately. Few clicks, and it started to restore files from my backup drive.

  3. I had a lot of data, and the estimated time required was 3.5 hours. So I went out for dinner. When I came back, it was nearly done. I'd say it took more like 1.5 hours only.

  4. Everything is back. The system restored all the account information, network setup (I did not have to set up network again!), all my personal files, and the best thing is, all the software that I installed were back! The new computer feels like the one I had before. All the settings are there. Everything came back in 1.5 hours!

Then I logged to World of Warcraft. Since all the settings were restored, I joined the private chat channel with friends automatically. Everyone greeted me delightfully, and I told them I've got new computer, and I'm ready to play.

Time machine is probably the most valuable thing to Apple's new operating system. This experience is so amazing. It is so easy to use.

Few more thoughts:
  • The new keyboard is softer than the old one, and is easier to type. I love that. The old one is so hard to type. But of course I'll need to wait for few more weeks to actually compliment on the keyboard. But at least the initial impression is positive.

  • The new keyboard has 2 USB 2.0 ports. USB 2.0 means that I not only can attach my mouse to it, but can also attach my external hard drive or thumb drive to it! This is good improvement. I won't have to hunt for the USB socket on the back side of the screen whenever I want to back up my system. Just plug it in to the keyboard!

  • Screen looks brighter, and the color is more vivid. Although I had some doubt if the reflection is bad on the screen, but my computer does not face the window (the actual windows in my bedroom lah), so I am fine with it.

  • Gaming performance is so much better. I just realized World of Warcraft is so beautiful. I used to have to sacrifice resolution or details for peroformance. Good to say good bye to these bad old days.

Well, I was not very happy to have to use my annual travel budget for a computer, but on the other side, I am glad that I bought an Apple, not a PC. Like I said, I knew I would be so down if I have to face a PC at home.

No comments: