2008/03/27

Google Site

One complaint I have for Google is that they do not provide storage space for users. Even Yahoo had that long time ago, but I am not sure if it is still available, as I cannot find it now. Sure they have Google Documents (GD), which I praised, but GD is limited to certain file formats only. That means, if I upload a Word document, GD will accept and then transfer to its own format. I can then edit or share from there. But if I upload a jpg file, then it will simply give an error message saying the format is not supported.

It is not easy for me to share other information with friends. Today I might want to share a zip file, or an mp3 I recorded. I'll have to resort to other services. Such service is not hard to find, it just makes me a little bit disappointing that Google is not a one-stop shop.

I read about Google Site today. It looks definitely interesting to me, as you can see from the demo at the bottom of the page. People can share other file format on Google Site. The catch is, this service is restricted to work and school environment. It does not allow me to log in with my gmail account, or yahoo account, or my hotmail account. Need to find another email address, maybe from ISP, or friend who has his own domain name and can spare one email address to me, to play with it.

No comments: