2008/03/19

Meebo

I've been using Meebo for instant messaging at work for a while. The good thing about Meebo is that it is web based, which means all I need is a web browser. I do not need to install any Yahoo messenger, or MSN, which I hate, or Goggle talk. If you do not like to apply for a Meebo account for privacy concern, you can simply log in from their homepage, or you can apply for a Meebo account for easier and faster login.

The nice thing about it is that I can log in to MSN, Yahoo messenger, or even Google talk and AIM all at the same time, right within the web browser. I can travel to any place. As long as I can find a computer to use, which has Internet access, I know I will get the environment I am used to to chat. Another nice thing is, its traffic goes through a different port, I guess port 80, instead of what the messengers normally use. It is good for me because my company does not allow employees to install IM software, but then Meebo serves as a loophole. I was told IT can block in completely though.

But for some reason, the connection has been very unstable lately. I could be online for only seconds, then got kicked offline, or be lucky to be on for few minutes, but the connection never lasts more than 10 minutes anymore.

I don't think company has blocked it, because if it does, then there will be no connection at all, but, hey, things happen.

No comments: