2008/03/10

Google Documents

This is a screenshot of my itinerary on Google Documents. This was my first attempt to use this online service, and the process and result were very good. It looks like a regular spreadsheet, but it comes with some really nice features:

* I can invite friends to view or edit this spreadsheet. This way I do not have to send out the itinerary, and then friends edit and send back to everyone, and we end up having all different kinds of versions. On Google Documents, there is only one version. Everyone goes to the same place for the same version. No need to send it back and forth. It is easy to keep people synced up.

* Everyone who has access to the same document can actually work on the same document together, remotely. It sounds weird, but MM and I tried that. We could be finding travel information separately and sent links to each other via MSN, but also edited or added travel information to the same itinerary at the same time. Moreover, I was even able to see which cell she was typing in. It was real time experience, very collaborative. I was so impressed.

* I had to print out the itinerary so my family had a printed copy just in case they needed to call me while I was away. One of the export format is PDF, so I could either print to my printer while I was online, or simply exported to PDF file and sent a copy to my family electronically. Quite simple and straightforward.

No comments: